One big question patients ask is how long does Invisalign take to straighten teeth. On average, Invisalign takes about 1 to 2 years, but some patients do require up to 3 years of treatment. At Arizona Smile Designers, we want everyone to receive a customized treatment plan that works for them and their needs. If you are looking for an estimate as to how long Invisalign will take for you, here is what you should take into consideration.
Factors That Determine The Length of Treatment
There are different factors to consider on how long Invisalign treatment can last. Here is what you need to know:
- Age- Young patients (teens and children) tend to get results faster than adults because their jaws are still growing, making the teeth easier to move.
- Severity- Another factor is the severity of your orthodontic issue. Mild spacing/crowding can be fixed in a year or less, while severe cases could take much longer. Depending on what type of bite you have and how crowded your teeth are, your Invisalign treatment duration could be different than others.
- Dental History- Before you start any orthodontic treatment, your orthodontist will want to know your dental history. This can include needing to know if you’ve had any tooth extractions done or if you have a history of dental disease. Your orthodontist may also recommend getting dental work done before or during orthodontic treatment, which could delay your progress.
- Patient Compliance- An orthodontic patient needs to follow all instructions provided by their orthodontist to ensure a successful treatment. If you do decide to get Invisalign, this plan requires discipline because you have the option to take off the aligners. This also includes maintaining proper oral hygiene, keeping up with your dental appointments, and using your orthodontic appliance as directed.
- Accidents/Emergencies- If the aligners break, melt, or get lost, this can mean having to go back and adjust your treatment plan. Also, if you do happen to get into an accident where your oral health is compromised (such as chipping, cracking, or losing your teeth), dental work will need to be done, delaying orthodontic progress.
Can You Speed Up the Treatment Process?
In some cases, you can speed up orthodontic treatment. Speak with your orthodontist and see if they offer any alternative options to braces. One popular option is AcceleDent, which uses micro pulses to help shift the teeth.
Get Invisalign Treatment Today At Arizona Smile Designers!
If you’re thinking about getting Invisalign treatment, contact us today at Arizona Smile Designers! Our doctors and staff are here to help you achieve a brighter and healthier smile! If you have any questions or concerns, don’t be afraid to reach out to our Cottonwood, AZ practice. We can’t wait to work with you!